My dear dear friend, Esther and I met up for a morning coffee yesterday. She and her husband are in the exact same boat as Ryan and I with this whole mix of mess and blessings. (Don't know what I'd be like without her right now!) She worded this whole experience perfectly, "It's like we're on a hamster wheel..."
This week has been nothing short of completely nuts. We've learned that our agency's staff in Ethiopia will need to shut down their side of things in two weeks' time; which means we have a two week window to figure out where to have our dossier sent to. Ideally, we would have it sent on to another agency. In our work to find an agency, we are learning that: 1) Most agencies will require us to start over completely with fees, paperwork, dossier construction, waiting list... everything 2) Most agencies will not waive any of their fees and 3) All agencies are waiting to hear from the Ethiopian government about re-licensure issues. Ethiopia is trying to eliminate the "piggy-backing" of agencies; and because agencies are waiting to hear, many agencies will not talk to us about anything until March. But remember, we need to have this figured out BEFORE March gets here. And to think, that all is just the paperwork chase!
Then there is the financial chase. I will be completely honest. My breath sort of hiccups when I think of this part. Aside from all of our money completely lost in this (which we will be reminded of every single month as we make that stupid payment), we also are faced with the daunting reality of future fees in order to continue.
We also have a bit of a legal chase. We know that we will not recover any of our money, nor are we hopeful about it. But because of the very messy circumstances of our situation (and many other families), and the injustice that has been done, we are seeking legal counsel to give the trustee of this bankruptcy case a clearer picture as to what has happened. The blessing in this is that there are several of us families doing this together, so our fees are do-able.
So that's the "mess" of my week.... but the many, many blessings is what I'm trying to focus on to keep the hope afloat!
I received the best text message early in the week. My friend texted, "Friends don't ask why. Can you please send me Ryan's cell phone number..." It made me laugh out loud; because knowing my clever friend, I knew she must have had something up her sleeve. But I never would have been able to guess that she and her husband arranged for Ryan and I to enjoy a Valentine's Day dinner together, while they took Johnny and Tenleigh and created a wonderfully fun and special Valentine's Day for them too, with their own three kids! It was awesome!! :)
Last night my brother and sister-in-law took the kids for the whole night and Ryan and I used Christmas gift cards to go out to eat and slow down for a bit. So great to have a quiet night! Nick and Anna -- Auntie and Uncle/Brother and Sister of the Year!! :)
Yesterday we found in our mailbox two very sweet cards from people expressing love and support for us. So thoughtful and so appreciated!
And the emails, messages, and hugs continue to come. We are so very blessed.
It is our hope that this week we will be able to make a decision about what our next steps will be. Tough timing that Ryan will be gone all week -- so let's hope that nothing crazy happens this time while he's gone. Our track record is not good for this. Crazy things ALWAYS happen when he's gone.
For Christmas this year a friend gave me a beautiful devotional book by Sarah Young. Sarah wrote the devotional in the first person, as though Jesus were speaking... and the whole book shares Sarah's personal reflections on certain Scripture verses. I have been re-reading February 1st's time and time again. Sarah is reflecting on Psalm 18:29 and Psalm 91:11 ...
Follow me one step at a time. That is all I require of you. In fact, that is the only way to move through this space/time world. You see huge mountains looming, and you start wondering how you're going to scale those heights. Meanwhile, because you're not looking where you're going, you stumble on the easy path where I am leading you now. As I help you get back on your feet, you tell lMe how worried you are about the cliffs up ahead. But you don't' know what will happen today, much less tomorrow. Our path may take an abrupt turn, leading you away from those mountains. There may be an easier way up the mountains than is visible from this distance. If I do lead you up the cliffs, I will equip you thoroughly for that strenuous climb. I will even give My angels charge over you, to preserve you in all your ways.
Keep your mind on the present journey, enjoying My presence. Walk by faith, not by sight, trusting Me to open up the way before you.
No comments:
Post a Comment